John Bundy took this photo of Main Street Highlands looking east from the 3rd Street intersection ca. 1884. To the right are T. Baxter White's home and post office, John Arthur's home through the trees, Annie Dimick's Cheap Cash Store, and C. L. Martin's Meat Market. Two well-dressed men in top hats stand out from a crowd of men. Baxter Wilson's store is on the left. Not visible are Highlands Inn on the far left and Central House on the far right.
This photo of Whiteside Mountain, as seen from the Bowery, is framed by 2 trees in sepia by Henry Scadin. It was taken ca. 1910. Whiteside's cliffs, ca. 1,800 feet, are the highest east of the Rockies.
Lower Sugar Fork Falls, 1898, was later called lower Cullasaja Falls. Barak Wright stands left of center with his wife Maggie on his right. After his first wife, Virginia, died, he married Margaret Louise "Maggie" Phillips, Jan. 18, 1888. [To see them both, click the Zoom button above] Photo by Henry Scadin.
Mill Creek Bridge and pond, built in 1886 over John Jay Smill's mill dam at north 4th Street. Satulah Mountain stands in the background. Will Cleaveland's planing mill and office and Alexander "Alex" P. Alexander's home (later William Sullivan's), which was completed in 1909, are on the left. On the right is the first Highlands School, built in 1878 by Arthur House and replaced in 1919 by the Town Clock School on the hill. Photo by Henry Scadin in 1912.
Main Street Highlands, looking east, in 1910. T. Baxter White's post office and home are on the right. On the left are Hiram Paul's dry goods store, Sinle Hood's quarters, W. T. Potts' livery stable, William B. Cleaveland's grocery, H. M. Bascom's hardware store, and Highlands House (now Highlands Inn). Photo by Henry Scadin.
Photographer Henry Scadin took this photo of Glen Falls in dark sepia. Originally named Ahmihcahlahlagah (also called Omakaluka or Oumekeloke) Falls over Overflow Creek, it was renamed by Jonathan Heacock (pronounced Hay-cock) Glen Falls, after a lovely waterfall in his home state of Pennsylvania.
Photographer John Bundy took this photo of Central House in 1883. One of Highlands' first boarding houses, it was built n 1878 and is now on the National Register. Owner Joseph Halleck replaced the wire fence in front with a picket fence in 1884. The building was owned by John Norton before it passed to David Norton in 1888, Rev. W. T. Potts in 1905, the Edwards family in 1913, and has been Madison's Restaurant of Old Edwards Inn and Spa since 2004.
This hand-colored photo of Highlands Falls was made by photographer R. Henry Scadin in 1898. Once a short side trip from the Kelsey Trail, the Falls are today near the 16th hole of the Highlands Falls Country Club.