MAPS OF THE HIGHLANDS AREA
Highlands did not exist in 1865. The map of 1865 shows Osage, Fodderstack, Whiteside, and Yellow mountains; Franklin; and Sugartown (Cullasaja) Creek, but the town of Highlands didn't begin to exist until 1875.
The map of 1881 that Kelsey drew of the town showed proposed streets and lots and homes that existed when the town was only six years old.
The road map of 1882 showed Franklin, Highlands; Osage, Fodderstack, Whiteside, and Yellow mountains; Stuly (Satulah) and Shortoff mountains; Buck Creek and Peeks Creek; the Sugartown River; and Cashiers Valley.
The map of 1925 adds Rabun Bald and Bear Pen mountains, Glen and Highlands Falls, Mirror and Lindenwood lakes, Mountain Rest, and Devil's Courthouse.
The Kesley Trail, which Samuel Kelsey built in 1883, ran from the end of 5th Street over Bear Pen Gap and through a primeval forest of 8-foot-in-diameter giant hemlocks for five miles to Whiteside Mountain, the highest cliffs east of the Rockies, plunging 1,800 feet to the headwaters of the Chattooga River. The trail featured Highlands Falls, Wildcat Cliff, and Garnet Rock and ended near Fat Man's Misery, Whiteside Caves, and Fool's Rock.
Two maps in 1966 were created by T. W. Reynolds, Highlands' first historian, showing all the roads, trails, and points of interest surrounding Highlands and Horse Cove, which he had discussed in his four books about the area. On the Highlands map he included a long list of odd names, such as Dirty John Creek, Lost Bridge, Screamer Mountain, Smash Wagon Ford, Misery Mountain, and Chunky Gal.
CHARTS OF THE HIGHLANDS AREA
Charts showing the locations of many businesses, homes, lots, etc. that existed between 1875 and 2004 along Main Street and 4th Street and on the Kelsey-Hutchinson map of 1894.
Note: When viewing a map, click Back to return here.